Staffing a sponsor table at a WordCamp can be overwhelming for those new to the scene. Here are some of the tips I learned along the way.
Staffing Your Table: Prepare Before WordCamp
Some things you can say are:
- See you there.
- Do you have any tips for this city?
- What session are you looking forward to?
Staffing Your Table: Tips During WordCamp
- Arrive early. Usually tables are first come, first served.
- Put out your swag in a way that is visually appealing.
- You probably don’t need to save too much swag for day 2. There’s a 50-25% drop off in attendance.
- Tweet out a selfie saying you are there and asking people to say hi. Use the WordCamp hashtag, not their Twitter handle. Remember, if you start a tweet with an @ handle, it is considered a reply. You want to avoid that. Use a period first to trick Twitter.
— Rudy Faile (@rudyfaile) April 27, 2019
- Stand up. People won’t talk to you if you’re sitting down. This is especially true if you are looking at your phone/computer.
- If you need a break, go into a session and tweet from there. Learn. Take notes. Absorb. You should be able to learn at least one thing.
- If one of your teammates is speaking, definitely support them.
— Dwayne McDaniel (@McDwayne) April 28, 2019
— Bre McDede (@breannmcdede) April 28, 2019
- Smile. It’s hard. I know. But it helps.
- Ask people questions. Don’t ask about your service or product (yet). This gets people talking. Get insight from your audience.
- How do you use WordPress?
- What has been your favorite session so far?
- What did you get for lunch?
- Tweet selfies with your booth attendees. If someone won a prize, definitely tweet that, too.
- Take notes. It’s fine if it’s just bullets. Your supervisor may ask you for insights from the camp. This makes it much easier to remember things.
— Bre McDede (@breannmcdede) April 27, 2019
— Pressable (@Pressable) April 28, 2019
What are your tips?
We are all always learning. I’d love to see what your tips are for staffing a successful sponsor booth at a WordCamp. Leave it in the comments below.