Do you want to know more about me and my personality? That’s fine. Here’s 100 things about me that you may find interesting. It was last updated October 21, 2019.
1. I started this blog / persona in May of 2011. It was prompted by a joke on the ‘guru’ name but people wanted a secular/professional version of me.
— Bridget Willard (@YouTooCanBeGuru) May 18, 2011
2. If you ask me a social media question, it may end up being answered in a blog post. If I’m going to do it once, I’ll do it for the whole world.
3. I started my first Twitter account (@gidgey) in 2007 after hearing about Twitter from Leo Laporte on MacBreak Weekly. I haven’t listened to that podcast in years.
4. My favorite luxuries are Starbucks and Diet Coke.
5. I’m not super girly but I’m working on it. I am practicing wearing dresses and rings for no reason. I started getting gel manicures.
6. My student loan is for my education and certification to be a teacher. After one year of teaching Jr High and High School Math, I decided parents were the worst bosses ever.
7. I used to be able to type 75wpm; I think that’s gone down quite a bit. Maybe I’m back to 62.
8. I taught my sister to read using The Real Mother Goose (Illustrated).
9. I believe the only cookbook you need is Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book 15th Edition: Gifts from the Kitchen (Better Homes and Gardens Plaid). Any recipe can be jacked from their basic version.
10. I perfected cooking pancakes, salsa, bread, and macaroni & cheese. I rarely cook now.
11. I have been living with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since 2005. On a good day, I feel like I have the worst day of the flu. I’m thankful that I can still work full-time.
12. I started writing what I called Christian Essays in the 90’s. They’re really just devotional blog posts.
13. Oh ya. I became a Christian at the age of 19.
14. At 20, I married my late husband who is 36 years my senior. His two children are older than I am. We had adult grandchildren now. He passed away May 31, 2016. We were married for 23 years.
15. There’s nothing like a good pen.
16. I didn’t get my first smart phone until 2010. It was an HTC Hero.
17. I didn’t get a cell phone until the year 2000. They were really expensive then.
18. I find that growing up low-tech means that I appreciate things like Google and speed dial now as well as being creative.
19. I have no children; I am infertile.
20. I was the second-string nose guard for the 8th grade flag football team in middle school.
21. I’ve sang in many weddings but only been a bridesmaid twice.
22. After I retired from teaching, I tutored students in algebra privately for ten years.
23. I met my late husband at work. It’s a cliche, I know.
24. I have historically been a late bloomer learning to ride a bike and swim way too late to admit.
25. I wore a bikini once — the sunburn on my belly ruined that style of suit forever. But I just started wearing one again in 2017.
26. I love to learn but hate reading. I’m too slow and I forget what I’m reading.
27. If I do read, it’s non-fiction.
28. I got two C’s in college.
29. I didn’t learn to play the piano until my 20’s. Guitar was after that. I took 4 years of private lessons.
31. The movie Pollyanna changed my life. I try to play the Glad Game. Happiness is not my default setting.
32. I am the adult child of an alcoholic. Both of my parents are sober now.
33. I binge watch TV shows on Netflix (see #32).
34. If you can’t laugh, geez. The alternative is crying which gives you a headache.
35. I sort of wish my high school teachers knew me now. I never was a writer then. For some reason, it grew on me.
36. I don’t consider myself an artist but I appreciate art even if I don’t like it.
37. I try not to offend people. It’s a 24/7 job.
38. If you’re not wearing a bow on your head, is it really your birthday?
39. I didn’t care about turning 40. 30 was my disappointing year.
40. I still have a landline for solicitors and spam calls.
41. Dude is my favorite multipurpose word. Its meaning changes based upon your inflection.
42. I can be found on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Medium, LinkedIn. Isn’t that enough?
43. I started my social media journey hocking my wares with MySpace when my CD came out.
44. In the economic downturn of 2009, I started doing the social media marketing for Riggins Construction in addition to my office manager (day) job. They have 20000+ followers, which I never thought possible.
44. My first interview of a subcontractor and video was about epoxy injection to repair cracks in concrete tilt-up walls. It’s had over 1300 views to date and brought in 4 leads so far. I just had a digital camera and a tri-pod. I learned a lot from that project.
45. Growing up poor means you make things work. I don’t wait for ideal circumstances or perfect conditions. I just do stuff.
46. I was invited two years in a row to be part of a social media panel for an engineering conference. I filmed both (2013 and 2014) with the same digital camera that was a Christmas gift from my step-daughter. That camera has come in handy.
48. I believe something is better than nothing.
49. I obsess over my hair and change it often. Thus the change in avatars.
50. I seriously don’t care about MSG, GMO, or anything like that. Pass the pasta.
51. Since I have no true vices, save coffee and candy, step off.
52. I signed up to walk the Coronado 5k on the 4th of July back in 2006. I was never able to do it.
53. I used to dream of one day running my town’s Turkey Trot 5k. Maybe, if I ever kick this illness’ butt.
54. I grew up in Butterfly Town USA (Pacific Grove).
55. I have lived in Dana Point longer than anywhere else in my life (since 2000).
56. My backup plan, if I can’t afford to live in California is Portland or Medford, OR or Prescott, AZ based on rental prices, cost of living, and a climate map. My politics make Arizona a better fit.
57. I never worked so hard as when I was an unofficial volunteer for the 2012 Elizabeth Emken bid for U.S. Senate in California. I am very proud of that work.
58. Oh, ya. I’m a conservative (fiscal).
59. I am the only Republican in my family.
60. I passionately support my friends even if our friendship venn diagram has a small overlap.
61. Sully (2009) is a rescue dog who makes my life more challenging but better.
62. Doubt is good. Questioning is part of the scientific process.
63. I often have epiphanies that surprise myself.
64. Anyone can learn social media. The technology is easy. The manners are hard.
65. I’ve been to Mexico twice for dental work. I will never do that again.
66. If I could afford to drop a car payment into a physical improvement it would be for dental implants.
67. I bought my first new car in 2012. It’s a 2013 Fiesta and I loved it.
68. I have one younger sister. Pretty small family.
69. My first international flight was to Paris in 2016. I’ve since been to Ottawa and Belgrade.
70. I don’t visit graves. I don’t believe the people are there.
71. I plan on being cremated. Plant a tree, move on.
72. I have a really hard time waking up when it’s dark outside.
73. I would like to see some more National Parks.
74. I’ve been to Sequoia National Forest, Yosemite (2x), Crater Lake, and the Grand Canyon.
75. I used to dream of living on Coronado Island one day.
76. I don’t have a ten-year plan; I never have. It’s too much stress.
77. I was in the construction industry for 15 years.
78. I’ve been commuting from Dana Point to Santa Ana since 2001.
78. I rode the train to work for 7 years. It served a purpose in my life but I’d rather not have to do it again.
79. I’ve worked on learning to listen more.
80. I hate being interrupted.
81. Hamburgers, pizza, and nachos are my favorite foods.
82. I’m a picky eater. I don’t eat meat off of a bone. I’m not adventurous. Not a fan of seafood.
83. I think I could give up candy before I could give up cheese.
84. Twitter changed my life. The people I’ve met there that have become part of my soul are way more than “connections.”
85. I’m opinionated; I’m working on that.
86. I’m impatient; I’m working on that, too. I’m only on 86? When will this list end?
87. I’m afraid of people – until you know me. Then you can’t get me to stop talking.
88. One day, I’ll learn to park well.
89. I manage my illness by bedrest. This is how I have time for blogging, social media, and TV.
90. One day, I hope to afford a house cleaner.
91. I took Spanish classes for six years. No me recuerdo las palabras.
92. I don’t believe in luck or astrology.
93. Trust is very important but hard to give.
94. In 2003/04 I organized, planned, made the crafts, invitations, booked, spoke at, and lead worship for two women’s retreats. That was the most fun, ever.
95. I used to quilt.
96. I can smell manipulation a mile away. At least, I’d like to think so.
97. I’m a sucker for a good analogy.
98. Filet Mignon, medium well, with a baked potato and caesar salad is my favorite dinner.
99. Hydrangeas are my favorite flower.
100. My favorite color rose is yellow.
And now you know 100 random things about me.